Makes enough for 1 pound fresh or dried pasta
• 2 pounds cherry tomatoes
• 1/3 cup good extra-virgin olive oil
• 6 large leaves fresh basil
• sea salt to taste
• 1 pound freshly made tagliatelle, or good imported Italian spaghetti or linguine
1. Combine the tomatoes, olive oil, and basil in an ample, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Simmer until they begin to burst and release their juices. Once the tomatoes burst, raise the heat to evaporate the juices and thicken the sauce. Season to taste with salt.
2. Cook the pasta in at least 5 quarts rapidly boiling salt water until it is cooked. Drain and toss it in the skillet with the sauce. Serve immediately.