What You Need:
- 1 c. sushi rice
- Large bowl
- 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- ½ a cucumber, chopped
- Sesame seeds
What You Do:
- Bring 2 cups of lightly-salted water to boil and then invite your fourth-grader to measure the sushi rice and gently pour it into the water. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- It’s time to get rolling! Invite your child to place the cooked rice in a large bowl and cover with the rice wine vinegar and sugar. Working with a spatula, encourage your child to mix the rice, helping to incorporate the ingredients as well as cool the rice.
- Now your child can carefully chop the cucumber into small chunks to place in the center of the rice balls.
- Invite her to gather a handful of rice and make a hole in the center to place a couple of the cucumber pieces. Now she can carefully squeeze the rice ball together and then roll in the sesame seeds.
- The rice balls can be eaten on their own or dipped in soy sauce!