- 3 lb red garnet or jewel yams
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Have ready a large rimmed baking sheet that will hold the yams in an even layer without touching.
- Peel the yams and cut them into equal-sized chunks (I cut mine into pieces about 1 inch by 2 1/2 inches) so they are all about the same size.
- Place in a large saucepan and add enough cold water to cover them. Season with plenty of salt and turn on the heat to high.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven to heat.
- Bring the yams just to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Add the oil to the baking sheet, keeping the baking sheet in the oven.
- Once the yams just start to boil, using a lid, carefully drain the water from the pan. Cover the pan and give it a good shake to bash up the yams slightly. Remove the lid and set the pan aside, uncovered, for the yams to dry for a few minutes.
- Carefully add the yams to the hot oil in a single layer so they are not touching and return the baking sheet to the oven. Roast, turning them once or twice during cooking, until they are golden brown, crisp, and tender throughout, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and serve right away.