1/2 lb Saltfish (dried, salted codfish)
1/2 lb shredded callaloo
1 medium onion
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp of butter
1/2 a hot chilli pepper (ideally Scotch Bonnet)
1 sweet pepper
1 chopped tomato
1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 Scallion (or spring onions)
- 6 Slices of bacon
- Soaking the fish Cover the saltfish in cold water. Let soak overnight (minimum 8 hours) changing the water several times (this removes most of the salt)
- Cooking the fish Bring a pan of cold water to the boil and gently simmer the fish for 20 minutes (until the fish is tender).
- Chopping the ingredients Chop the onion, sweet pepper, chilli pepper and tomato whilst waiting for the fish to cook.
- Chopping the ingredients Wash the Callaloo in a pot of water and drain thoroughly.
- Preparing the fish Remove the fish from water and allow to cool.
- Remove all of bones and skin then flake the flesh of the fish.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onion, black pepper, sweet pepper, chilli and thyme. Fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the callaloo and half a cup of water, cover and steam for 15 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and flaked fish and steam for another 10 minutes
Serving Serve with yam, green banana, fried dumplings and Irish potato (collectively known as food).