¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
½ pound (225 g) chorizo sausage, sliced or cut into smaller pieces
1 large onion, diced
3 quarts (3 L) Chicken Stock, simmering
2 pounds (907 g) potatoes, preferably gold such as Yukon Gold, quartered and sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 large bunch kale, leaves shredded
Save for Stock: Onion trimmings, potato trimmings (don’t save kale stems as cole—cabbage family—vegetables lend a disagreeably strong flavor to stock)
1. Place olive oil in a large soup pot—here a French-style rondeau—and heat. Add the sausage and brown while breaking up the sausage into small bits.
2. Add the onions and cook over medium heat or until softened but not browned.
3. Add the Chicken Stock and use a wooden spoon to release the tasty browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
4. Add the potatoes, the garlic, and the salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat and simmer until potatoes are half cooked, about 10 minutes.
5. Add the shredded kale to the soup and cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
6. Taste for seasoning and serve.