Simple and versatile, this side dish is essentially a warm broccoli salad dressed with a tangy vinaigrette. The flavor may be a revelation to you if you don’t care for boiled or steamed broccoli—high-heat roasting brings out a delicious sweetness. If you buy broccoli tops with the stems already trimmed away, buy 1 1/2 pounds.
- 2 lb. broccoli
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat an oven to 400°F. Cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets.
- In a large baking pan, toss the broccoli with 2 Tbs. of the olive oil and the salt until well coated. Spread in a single layer. Roast, stirring frequently, until browned and tender, 18 to 25 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard and the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil. Add the warm broccoli and pine nuts and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6.