- 1 sheet (25 x 25cm) ready-rolled frozen butter puff pastry, just thawed
- 85g (1/3 cup) bought basil pesto
- 4 small vine-ripened tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 x 240g pkt haloumi, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Small fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Cut the pastry sheet into quarters. Cut a 5mm-wide strip from edges of each pastry sheet. Brush edges of pastry with a little water. Place pastry strips on the edges of pastry sheets to create a border. Place on prepared tray.
- Keeping within the border, spread the pesto evenly over the base of each pastry sheet. Arrange the tomato and haloumi over the bases. Drizzle with oil and season with pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. Remove from oven.
- Place tarts on a serving platter and sprinkle with basil leaves. Serve immediately with mixed salad leaves, if desired.
Place a puff pastry rectangle on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Top with thinly sliced tomatoes, leaving a 1/4-inch border.
Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper; brush the pastry with egg wash.
Bake at 400°F until pastry is golden, 25 to 30 minutes, and garnish with slivered basil.