- Serves 18
- Prep time 1 hour
- Cook time 25 minutes
- Total time 1 hour, 25 minutes
- Meal type Appetizer
- Region Irish
- 3 Puff pastry sheets
- 1 Egg (beaten for brushing pastry )
- 1lb Ground pork
- 1 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Garlic clove (minced)
- 1 Egg (beaten)
Sausage Filling (Optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried fennel
- Grind the spices, salt and pepper in a coffee grinder.
- Add the ground spices and minced garlic to the breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add the ground pork to the seasoned breadcrumbs and combine using your fingers. Add half of the beaten egg and mix thoroughly until the meat mixture begins to stick together. Discard the excess egg.
- Using your hands roll the sausage, forming 4 cylindrical shapes about 3/4 inches thick and 10 inches long. Set meat aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Open a thawed puff pastry sheet on a floured surface. Cut into 3 strips about 3 inches wide and 10 inches long.
- Place a 3 inch piece of the pre-formed sausage meat on the pastry close to the edge. Roll the pastry around the meat, overlapping underneath by one inch.
- Cut the pastry roll, then roll it back to brush the lower layer with egg wash. Re-roll and seal the lower seam.
- Using a sharp knife, cut two diagonal 1/2 inch slits in the top surface of the roll. Repeat the procedure to form 18 sausage rolls.
- Lay the prepared sausage rolls on the baking tray in rows and one inch apart.
- Brush the top of the pastry with egg wash.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when golden brown on top. Cool the sausage rolls on a wire rack.
- Serve hot or cold as desired.