chocolate chip cookie stuffed chocolate hamantaschen courtesy of Bakeology by Lisa
FOR THE CHOCOLATE HAMANTASCHEN DOUGH
1 egg white
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons almond milk
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup earth balance, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
FIRST, MAKE THE CHOCOLATE HAMANTASCHEN DOUGH
- in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the egg, egg white, and sugar on medium speed until combined. add the oil and almond milk and beat until smooth.
- in a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. with the mixer on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until everything is just combined.
- form the dough into a disc and wrap it in plastic wrap. let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
MEANWHILE, MAKE THE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH
- in a small bowl, combine the flour and baking soda.
- again in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the earth balance and both sugars on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy. add the salt, vanilla, and eggs, and beat until combined. with the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until everything is combined. stir in the chocolate chips.
THEN, ASSEMBLE THE HAMANTASCHEN
- preheat the oven to 350ºf and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- take about a quarter of the hamantaschen dough and roll it out between two pieces of wax paper to about 1/4-inch thickness. use some sort of circular item (a biscuit cutter, a round cookie cutter, a glass) to cut circles out of the dough. top each circle with about a teaspoon of chocolate chip cookie dough.
- for each circle, fold up the sides into a triangular shape, and pinch the corners together tightly.
- repeat this with the rest of the two doughs, re-rolling the scraps of hamantaschen dough as needed.
bake the hamantaschen on the prepared baking sheet for about 10 minutes, until they are just starting to darken at the corners. the chocolate chip cookie dough should still be a bit soft. let the hamantaschen cool for a few minutes
- on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.