- 1 1/2 cups fresh or canned persimmon puree (see note), or use canned pumpkin
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Salt to taste, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter, plus butter for greasing the baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the persimmon puree into a mixing bowl and add the buttermilk. Beat well with a mixer.
- Sift together the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Beat the eggs and add them to the persimmon mixture. Add the sifted dry ingredients and beat with the mixer. Beat in the butter. There should be about six cups.
- Butter a six-cup baking dish and pour the batter into it. Set the baking dish in a larger utensil and pour boiling water into the larger dish.
- Place in the oven and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the pudding is set and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- May be topped with whipped cream.
YIELD Eight or more servings
NOTE: make persimmon puree, put enough ripe, pitted persimmons through a sieve to produce one and one-half cups.