Making Chocolate Truffles with Charles Chocolates
Charles Chocolates Recipe: Chocolate Truffles
To make a 9″-x-13″ pan:
15 oz bittersweet chocolate
9 oz milk chocolate
2 1/2 cups heavy cream, preferably organic and non ultra-pasteurized
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, for finishing
To make an 8″-x-8″ pan:
9 oz bittersweet chocolate
5.4 oz milk chocolate
6 tbsp heavy cream
1 tb plus 1 tsp butter
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, for finishing
1. If not using chips, chop the chocolates evenly into pebble-sized pieces. Combine in a medium bowl and set aside. Line pan with a long strip of plastic wrap, using enough that you’ll be able to wrap the long edge completely over the top of the finished truffles.
2. In a saucepan, heat heavy cream until just steaming and beginning to bubble around the edges. Pour hot cream over chocolate. Let mixture stand for several minutes.
3. Using a rubber spatula, a whisk, or a hand (immersion) blender, begin mixing the chocolate and cream at the center of the bowl, slowly moving outwards from the center to the sides of the bowl. Continue mixing until chocolate is fully melted and mixture is smooth.
4. Add butter and continue mixing until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Pour chocolate into prepared pan, using an offset or rubber spatula to push mixture evenly into the corners. Smooth the top and fold the excess plastic wrap over the top, gently pressing down onto the top of the mixture.
5. Chill mixture in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight. When mixture has hardened, remove from refrigerator. Peel back the top plastic wrap. Flip over onto a cutting board and peel off remaining plastic wrap. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut into small, even squares.
6. Spread cocoa powder in a wide mouthed bowl. Add truffles a few at a time to bowl of cocoa, shaking to cover each truffle completely with cocoa. Shake excess cocoa off through a fine mesh strainer and arrange finished truffles on a serving plate. Continue coating truffles with cocoa powder until all the truffles are coated. Cover and refrigerate until serving.